My mom always makes vermicelli upma which is the traditional south indian breakfast.. i was simply drooling to make something in vermicelli other than upma, Then i remembered about the vermicelli biriyani my friend mentioning on the other day! so i got the ingredients..Ready!! and tried out the Vermicelli biriyani!! It turned out super tasty!! Its is very simple, delicious and filling recipe which you can accompanied by raita!
- Vermicelli -1 and 1/2 cup
- cumin seeds- 1 tsp
- Bay leaf - 1
- Onion- 2 medium size
- Coconut milk- 1 and 1/4 cup
- Coriander leaves - a small bunch.
- Mint/pudhina - a small bunch.
- Oil+ ghee -1 and 1/2 tsp
- salt - to taste
- TO GRIND:
- Ginger - 1/2 inch
- Garlic- 7 pods
- Fennel seeds - 1 and 1/2 tsp
- Green chilli - 2
- Cinnamon - 1 small stick
- Cloves - 5
- Elachi - 2
- Grind the " to grind" ingredients into a fine paste.
- Dry roast the vermicelli just for 2 mins.
- In a pan add in oil+ ghee, once it heat up add the cumin seeds, bay leaf, onion and cook until the onions turns light golden brown.
- Add the grinded paste and sauté for 3 tp 4 mins until the raw smell leaves off.
- Add the veggies to the cooked masala and cook until the veggies are cooked.
- Add coconut milk and salt, give a mix and cook for 1 minute.
- Now add the vermicelli, mix gently and cook until the vermicelli absorbs the coconut milk.
- Finally close the lid and cook for another 2 to 3 mins.
- Now the Vermicelli biriyani is ready!!! Serve Hot with onion raita!
You can add any veggies like cauliflower, beans...
Make sure the measurement of the coconut milk/ water is proper or else it turns sticky.
Do not over cook the vermicelli it turns mushy.
Keep the flame in medium throughout out the cooking.
Step by Step pictures: