Ven Pongal Recipe | Ghee Pongal Recipe |Most Popular South Indian Recipe. Ghee Pongal is one of the regular breakfast in TamilNadu. It is protein packed and delicious with a good aroma of ghee and seasoned ingredients for morning breakfast.Print
- Rice – 1 cup
- Moog dal- 1/4 cup
- Pepper- 1 tsp.
- Water – 4 cups
- TO TEMPER:
- Ghee- 2 tbs
- Pepper – 1tsp
- Cumin- 1 tsp
- Ginger – 1tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 string.
- Hing- a pinch.
- Cashews- 10.
- Salt to taste.
- Pressure cook rice, moong dal and 1 tsp of pepper with 4 cups of water for 3 whistles.
- Once it is cooked mash it well.
- In a small pan add in ghee fry the cashews and keep aside.
- In the same pan add cumin, pepper, curry leaves,hing,ginger and fry for 2 mins.
- Add the tempered items to the cooked pongal and mix ell.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney or sambar.
STEP BY STEP PICTURES:
Add the rice and moong dal
Add pepper corns.
Pressure cook for 3 to 4 whistles.
Mash the daal with ladle.
Fry the cashews in ghee.
Fry the cumin seeds, pepper corns, ginger, hing, curry leaves.
Add all the temperings to the cooked pongal and mix well.
Ven pongal/ Ghee pongal is ready!!! It goes extremely well with coconut chutney or sambar.