This whole wheat veg momo is super healthy with warm, oozing vegetable filling makes it delicious and best comfort food! It is an easy snack or appetizer at any time of the week!
To make a dough.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
To make a filling:
- 1 cup cabbage
- 1/2 cup carrot
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1 teaspoon pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
To make a dough:
- Take flour, salt, oil in mixing bowl, add water little by little to make a dough, just that how you make for chapati/roti. cover with a damp cloth and set aside.
To make a filling:
- Now to make a filing,
- Add oil to a saucepan, add chopped ginger and garlic. Stir fry for 1 minute till the flavours of ginger and garlic infused in oil.
- Add finely chopped cabbage, carrot and coriander leaves. Stir and cook for few minutes till the veggies are cooked.
- Sprinkle pepper powder and soy sauce and salt. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- To make vegetable momos:
- Take a small lemon sized ball of the dough, dust with the flour to avoid sticking and roll out to make a thin small circle.
- Add the veggie filling and shape to make a dumpling. Simply cover all the sides and seat the dough tightly. Just the way how you make money bag or kozhukattai.
- Keep everything ready.
- Heat water in a pot, Arrange all the momos in a steamer and gently place the steamer in the pot that has boiling water.
- Cover and steam cook for 8 minutes over medium heat.
- Serve with momos chutney.
Tips to make the best veg momos:
Wheat flour: I have used wheat flour for this recipe, you may use all-purpose flour as well. Add very little water to make a soft dough.
Veggies: You can use veggies like cauliflower, broccoli, red cabbage, capsicum, beans, spring onions. These veggies work perfectly for the momos, just Finely grate or chop them.
Momos dough: Make the dough first, so that it gets a resting time and then make a filling. The dough has to be soft and smooth. If you find the dough is sticky, add little flour, mix and work on the surface to make a soft dough.
Momos Shape: Make sure you roll out to a thin disc that helps you get the right texture of the momos. If the outer layer is dense/thick it takes time for the momos to cook and you may feel the dense texture of momos. There are so many variations in the shaping of momos. Just do what works perfectly fine for you.
Sesame oil: You add sesame oil for the filling for more flavours. Just add 1 teaspoon of sesame oil once the filling is ready.
- Category: starter, snacks, appetizer
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Tibetian, Indian
Keywords: momos recipe, veg momos, veg momos recipe