Hi Friends how u all doing?? Today’s recipe is “Tomato Rice” or “Tomato Bath” or whatever the name you call it. Every region and every place have their own version of tomato rice. Here I’m sharing my Mum’s recipe South Indian Tomato Rice, which i always ask Mum to make for my lunch box during school days,Mom used to make this Tomato rice with simple onion pakora!! yum it is:) :)i still cherish all those lovely school-hood days!! Especially the lunch-time, where we share all the lunch boxes and we eat all mix and match!! Grabbing the boxes from one to another! This Tomato Rice had a special place during school times, it was the most grabbed food from me!! so mom used to pack me extra boxes to share with friends!! This is simple one-pot meal, which you can also serve with simple chips or pakora, we need not to make any special side dish for accompaniment. The only cling in this recipe is to make a enough amount of tomato gravy for the rice- rest all super easy!! I’m sure you will love it! if you have your own version tomato rice let me know!! Do try this recipe!! then… then hmmm!! what you have to do?? hope you know the drill!! 🙂 🙂 🙂
- Rice- 1.5 cups
- Onion- 1
- Tomatoes- 3
- Oil- 1 tbs
- Ghee- 2 tsp
- cinnamon- 1 small stick
- Cloves- 3
- Bay leaf- 1
- Ginger +garlic +greenchilli paste- 1 tsp
- Green chilli – 2
- Chilli powder- 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Heat up the oil+ghee, add in cinnamon, cloves, bayleaf, onion and ginger+garlic+chilli paste. Saute them until the raw smell leaves off.
- Add tomato, green chilli, chilli powder and turmeric powder and cook until it turns mushy.
- Add rice, stir them gently. Transfer them to a rice cooker. Add the measured quantity of water, i used basmati rice so for 1 cup of rice- i used 1.5 cups of water.
- Add some ghee on top,sprinkle some mint leaves.
- Add salt to taste.
Step by Step Pictures:
Tomato Rice is ready!!!Serve with chips or onion pakora.1