Paruppu urundai kuzhambu/spiced lentil dumplings is the yummy coconut curry where lentil dumplings are steamed and then dropped into the spicy tamarind coconut sauce. Its totally delicious and lip-smacking!Paruppu urundai kuzhambu is my favourite dish from my amma’s kitchen. During my school time mom makes this curry once in a week. Usually amma divide the dumpling mixture one for the steamed one and other she makes vada. It taste so good and yummy.
Similar recipes you may like to try:
The best side dish for paruppu urundai kuzhambu is Chow chow kootu and vada( from the same dumpling mixture). I have steamed the dumplings and added in the coconut tamarind sauce but few people prefer to add the fried vada to the coconut sauce.
step by step pictures:
Lets make the Dumpling:
Paruppu urundai kuzhambu is ready to be served. This curry can be served with rice, idly, dosa.
- channa dal- 1 cup
- toor dal- 1/2 cup
- moong dal- 1/2 cup
- fennel seeds- 1 tbs
- garlic- 8 cloves
- green chilli- 3
- curry leaves - 1 spring
- coriander leaves- a small bunch
- onion- 1
- tamarind- a lemon sized ball soaked in water
- chilli powder- 3 tbs
- turmeric powder - 2 tsp
- fenugreek seeds- 1 tsp
- mustard seed- 1tsp
- vadagam- 1 tsp
- Gingelly oil- 2 tbs
- small onion- 1/2 cup
- tomato- 2
- coconut- 4 tbs
- fennel seeds- 2 tsp
- soak the dals for 3 to 4 hours.
- Grind the fennel seeds first, then add in green chilli, garlic grind them to a coarse paste.
- In the same blender add soaked dal and curry leaves and salt.
- Grind the dals to a coarse mixture and keep aside. add in chopped onions and curry leaves.
- give a good mix and make small lemon sized balls and steam them for 10 to 15 mins.
- Grind coconut and fennel seeds into a fine paste.
- Take a tamarind water, add chilli powder, turmeric powder, coconut paste, salt and keep aside.
- Heat up oil, add onion, tomato, green chilli, curryleaves saute until the tomato turns mushy.
- Add the tamarind mixture now.Let it come to boil.
- Drop the lentil balls carefully.
- cover and cook for 10 minutes.