Jackfruit Appam – It is warm, satisfying, intensely flavourful, and easy to make loaded with jackfruit, jaggery, cardamom powder, perfect for snacks, dessert, or an appetizer!
- 6 jackfruits
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup coconut
- 3 tablespoon jaggery
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1 tablespoon semolina
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- 2 tablespoon ghee (divided)
- 1 teaspoon cashews
- 1 teaspoon raisin
- 1/2 teaspoon almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- These are the ingredients to make jackfruit Unni appam.
- To the blender, add 6 jackfruits and 3 tablespoons diced coconut blend to make a smooth puree.
- Transfer to a bowl.
- Add 3 tablespoon jaggery, mix them well. (You may also use your fingertips to mix the jaggery)
- Add all 3/4th cup all-purpose flour, 1/8 teaspoon cardamom powder. Mix well.
- Heat 1 teaspoon ghee, add cashews, raisin, and almonds. Stir for few seconds to a light golden color.
- Add the fried nuts to the batter. Mix well.
- Add 1 tablespoon semolina to the batter and mix well.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon baking soda. Mix to make a batter.
- Pour the ghee evenly in all the hollow space and pour in the spoonful of batter. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Gently Flip the uncooked side to touch the bottom of the pan. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes until it turns to a nice golden color.
Tips and Substitution:
I have blended the jackfruit and coconut for the smooth texture, you can also pulse just for a few seconds to get the grainy texture of the coconut.
To sweeten the appam I have used jaggery and powdered sugar. You can add the only jaggery to sweeten the appam. Make sure to add powdered jaggery, that helps in quick blending and it gets easily dissolved in the batter.
You can also use wholewheat flour instead of all-purpose flour.
Add baking soda just before you make the appam in the pan.
Cook the paniyaram in the ghee for the best flavors and taste.
Don’t make the batter too runny if it is runny add some flour to get the texture.
- Category: dessert
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: indian
Keywords: jackfruit appam, chakka Paniyaram,appam recipe , paniyaram recipe