Time for a potluck? This German Potato Salad will never go wrong.
What is Potato Salad?
Potato salad is a dish made from boiled potatoes and a variety of other ingredients.
This German potato salad without bacon is best served as sides or healthy snacks.
A German Potato Salad also called as traditionally Schwäbischer Kartoffelsalat is a warm potato salad embraced with sliced potatoes, minced onions, oil, vinegar, and fresh parsley.
This salad recipe is,
1. Salads are always inviting, in the summers. This is that Summer Side dish, you don’t want to miss.
2. It’s scrumptious, sweet, salty, tangy; altogether a perfect salad to complete your meal, be it a potluck, picnic, family dinner, or your Thanksgiving Dinner.
Ingredients for German Potato salad:
Potato: the best Potatoes for potato salad are waxy, such as yellowfin, Yukon, or red potatoes are firm in texture and these are best for salad.
If those potatoes are not available in your province.
You can choose any potatoes that easily available and do not overcook them as it might turn mushy.
Onion: You can use red onions or white onions, slice them thinly that gives the lovely base to the salad.
seasonings: I have used paprika and pepper powder If you love dried herbs, please feel free to add them.
It just enhances the flavors.
Apple cider vinegar: Apple cider vinegar gives you the most unique flavour to the salad recipe.
However, you can use rice vinegar, lemon vinegar, or squeeze some fresh lemon juice is all you need for the tangy flavors to the salad.
Dijon Mustard: This one ingredient has very strong intense and sharp flavor adding very little is enough for the salad.
You could replace it with classic mustard sauce or spicy brown mustard.
Garlic: Mince the garlic finely that helps to steep the aroma in dressing.
Fresh Herbs: If you have fresh herbs like parsley, chop them finely and add to the salad that gives you a fresh taste.
Olive oil: I have used olive oil for the dressing of the salad, if you’re looking for healthy alternatives, you may use Avacado oil, pumpkin seed oil, or anything of your preference.
How to make German Potato Salad Step by Step:
Tips to make the best recipe:
Best served hot or warm
Always place your potatoes in cold water, before bringing to boil. If not, the outsides will cook immediately and the insides may take longer to cook, leading to some hard and soft pieces
. Adding salt to the water before boiling the potatoes, will flavor the potatoes inside out
Make the dressing while you boil the potatoes that allow the onions and seasonings to steep the flavors.
1. Truth be told, there are variations to this German Potato Salad, which you can try out.
2.It can be made with bacon or sour cream or yogurt or broth (beef or chicken) or with vegetables (cucumber or onion or celery) or with pickles.
I love that I can add fresh herbs to compliment my dish.
1. Potatoes are beneficial to your heart and blood pressure. The fresher the potato, the richer it is in vitamin C.
2. Potatoes when cooked through, can help in weight loss, improve your mood and boost your immune system
3. It’s not just delicious, it may also help control your weight and make you happier too!
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Can German Potato Salad be served cold?
For a German salad, the potatoes need to be dressed when warm, so that the potatoes can absorb the flavor completely.
It can be served cold if it suits your taste.
2. What are the best potatoes used for a salad?
Potatoes that hold their shape when boiled and keep their texture firm when being chopped and tossed, like Yellow Finn or Yukon Gold or red potatoes
3. How long does German potato salad last in the refrigerator?
3-4 days in an airtight container will save the dish, while it tastes best when warmed before serving.
4. How long can a potato salad stay out before being refrigerated?
Make sure your salad does not sit out at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
Recipes You may like to try:
★ DID YOU TRY THIS GERMAN POTATO SALAD RECIPE? Don’t forget to give a ★ rating. Just click on the stars in the Recipe Card to rate!
A German Potato Salad is a warm potato salad embraced with red potatoes and onion dressed in delicious vinegar, olive oil, and mustard dressing.
- 3 potato (boiled)
- 1 onion (sliced)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon olive
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves (chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Boil the potatoes, peel, and dice them or you could pressure cook the potatoes for 2 hisses.
- To mixing bowl, combine sliced onion, paprika, pepper powder, garlic, olive oil, dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, coriander leaves, and salt.
- Mix well
- Stir in the boiled potatoes.
- Gently mix/toss the diced potatoes to salad dressing and serve.
- Best served hot or warm
- Always place your potatoes in cold water, before bringing to boil. If not, the outsides will cook immediately and the insides may take longer to cook, leading to some hard and soft pieces
- Adding salt to the water before boiling the potatoes, will flavor the potatoes inside out
- Make the dressing while you boil the potatoes that allow the onions and seasonings to steep the flavors.
- Category: Sides
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: german
Keywords: potato salad, potato salad recipe, german potato salad recipe