This coconut milk rice is super simple, bursting with flavour with minimal ingredients and on your table under 20 minutes.
To make Homemade coconut milk:
- 1 cup coconut
- 2 cups of warm water
- To make coconut milk rice:
- 1 tablespoon Ghee
- 2 cinnamon stick
- 6 cloves
- 1 onion (large)
- 2 green chilli
- 15 garlic cloves
- 1 tomato
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves
- 1.5 cups of basmati rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- These all the ingredients to make coconut milk rice
- To make coconut milk: Take your blender to add coconut pieces and warm water.
- Process the coconut to a smooth paste.
- Strain the coconut residue using mesh and extract coconut milk. Here we got our homemade coconut milk.
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker, add cinnamon stick, cloves. Let it sizzle for a few seconds.
- Add sliced onions salt, slit green chillies, stir fry the onions till they turn translucent.
- Add garlic cloves, stir fry for a minute.
- Add chopped tomato and cook till the tomatoes turn slightly mushy.
- Then add chopped mint leaves and coriander leaves. Stir for few seconds.
- Add basmati rice, gently stir the rice for just a few seconds.
- Add coconut milk and water. Check for salt.
- Pressure cook for 2 hisses. Once the pressure release naturally, opens the lid, fluff up the rice and serve.
Tips to make the best homemade coconut milk rice:
Basmati rice: the long grain rice add flavours to this coconut milk rice. The texture, taste and delicate flavours of the basmati rice are best suited for the coconut milk rice.
However, you may swap to Seeraga samba rice.
Coconut milk: The hero of the recipe is Coconut milk! I used homemade coconut milk for this recipe.
It has more flavours and taste.
The best flavours of the coconut milk rice are from homemade coconut milk.
However, you can swap to store-bought coconut cream or tinned coconut milk. I know it is quite handy and easy to use.
But to bring out the best flavours I urge you to try using homemade coconut milk.
Garlic: Add more garlic for this recipe, the soft mushy garlic gives you the best taste and flavours.
Mint leaves and coriander leaves: these greens give you the most aromatic and enhance the taste of the recipe.
- Category: Rice, MainCourse
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: coconutmilk rice, coconutmilk rice recipe, thengai paal sadham