This Chettinad potato roast is extremely simple, quick and easy recipe that you can make in no-time! Making potato fry can’t be easier than this. This goes amazing well with rice and roti.
- 10 Baby Potatoes (Boiled and peeled)
- 2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon urad dal
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoon Channa dal
- 1 tablespoon Chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 8 garlic pods (crushed)
- 2 Green chillies (crushed)
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Heat sesame oil over medium heat, add mustard seeds, fennel seeds, channa dal and dal. Stir for few seconds.
- Add crushed garlic, green chillies and curry leave. Stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Then, add chilli powder and turmeric powder, salt. Stir for few seconds.
- Add boiled potato, sprinkle chopped coriander leaves. Stir and cook for 3 to 4 mins till the potatoes are well coated and roasted.
Tips to make best Chettinad potato roast:
- Potato: You may use regular potato instead of baby potato
- Gingelly oil: The potatoes are cooked in gingerly oil has more flavours ,you can opt for sesame oil or any vegetable oil that works for you.
- Seasoning: the seasoning are mustard seeds, fennel seeds and channa dal are added. Here the channa dal has to be fried to a light golden colour that’s when you get a crunchy bits of channa dal.
- If you like you can add urud dal as well
- Garlic and chilli: Crush the garlic and chilli slightly using motar pestle, that helps to enhance the flavour of potato roast.
- Spices: The spices are tend to brown quickly, so make sure keep to low flame when you add spices.
- Category: Sides
- Method: StoveTop
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: potato roast, chettinad potato, potato fry