This cabbage poriyal/cabbage thoran is simple, quick and easy side dish, mildly spiced with exotic flavours and on your table under 10 minutes.
- 3 cups of cabbage
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 3/4 th cup of coconut (grated)
- 1 green chilli
- 3 dry red chilli
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Heat coconut oil in sauce pan/kadai. Add mustard seeds once its splutters, add urad dal fry for 10 to 20 seconds.
- Tear the dry redchillies, add in.
- Add chopped onion, salt fry till the onions turns translucent.
- Add sliced green chilli, fry for few seconds.
- Then in goes chopped cabbage.Stir and cook for 3 minutes
- Add water, cover and cook for another 5 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- Once the cabbage is cooked, add grated coconut.Stir the cabbage for 1 minute.
- Cabbage poriyal/cabbage thoran is ready.
Tips to make Cabbage poriyal:
Cabbage : Get the cabbage that is crisp and fresh. You can choose the purple cabbage as well.
Coconut oil: I have used coconut oil for this recipe, you can swap to any vegetable oil,gingelly oil or sesame oil.
Seasoning: I have used urad dal, you may use channa dal for the more crunchy texture.
Coconut: Adding fresh grated coconut gives you more flavours to this recipe. If you do not have coconut feel free to add desiccated coconut.
Veggies: You may add chopped carrots and peas along with the cabbage to a healthy veggie poriyal.
Make sure to chop or grate the carrot that helps to cook faster.
- Category: Sidedishes, sides
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: cabbage recipe, cabbage poriyal, cabbage thoran