- Toor dal - ½ cup
- Squash - 1 cup.
- Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
- Hing- ¼ tsp
- Garlic- 5 cloves
- Coriander leaves - 1 small bunch.
- Onion - 3 medium size
- Tomato - 2
- Green chilli - 3
- Tamarind - a small lemon sized ball.
- Redchilli powder- 1and ½ tsp
- Dhanya/ coriender powder- 1tbs
- Oil- 1tbs
- Vadagam- 1 and ½ tsp
- Dry red chillies - 3
- Fenugeek seeds - 1 tsp.
- Curry leaves- 2 string.
- Water- 4 cups.
- Pressure cook toor dal adding turmeric powder, garlic, coriander leaves, oil, hing and cook for 6 whistle.
- Once the pressure cooked mash the dal, add 2 or 3 cups of water.
- Add in onions, tomatos, chillies, squash and cook for 15 minutes.
- Once the vegetables are half cooked add in tamarind extract, chilli powder, coriander powder. Let it cook for 10 to 12 mins in medium slow flame.
- Heat oil in separate pan, add vadagam, fenugreek seeds, curry leaves, make sure not to burn and immediately add to sambar.
- Turn off the heat and cover the lid. Keep covered for ½ hour and sprinkle some coriander leaves before serving.
- Serve hot with rice, dosa or idly.
STEP BY STEP PICTURES:
In a small pan add in vadagam, cumin seeds, dry red chillies.
Serve hot with rice with pappad.