Varutharacha Meen Curry – Fish Curry with freshly Roasted Masala
- Fish - 500 gms
- Tamarind - a small lemon sized ball
- Oil- 3tbs
- Vadagam - 1 tsp.
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Oinons - 3
- Tomatos - 2
- Green chilli - 3
- Garlic cloves - 8
- Curry leaves - as needed
- Salt- to taste
- TO GRIND
- Dry red chillies- 5
- Coriander seeds- 1tbs
- Soak the tamarind in the water, extract the pulp by adding a cup of water.
- Dry roast the dry red chillies and coriander seeds just for 1 min, grind into a fine paste by adding ¼ cup of water.
- Add the grinded mixture to the tamarind extract water and mix well.
- In a kadai add the oil, add in vadagam( if you don't hav vadagam you can substitute with 1tsp - mustard seeds, ½ tsp - methi seed and cumin seeds -1/2tsp) and cumin seeds fry just 30 seconds.
- Add the onions, garlic and green chill and fry till onions turns translucent.
- Add the tomatoes and cook until it turns mushy
- Add the tamarind water, salt and turmeric powder.
- Close with the lid and cook for 20 mins
- Finally add the fish one by one carefully, and close the lid and cook for another 10 mins.
- Sprinkle some coriander leaves if needed.
STEP BY STEP PICTURES:
These all the ingredients.
Serve hot with rice.